The 12-step program is among the tools utilized by people to overcome addiction issues that they might have. Originally the 12-step program was developed by Alcoholics Anonymous, however it became rather popular and reliable to name a few associations also, which is why it might be a good concept to see how this treatment can assist you out with your own substance use disorder.
If interested, continue reading this post and find out how the San Francisco, California 12-step programs work and whether you might want to take it up yourself!
12-Step Programs Near me 101 in San Francisco
Overall, 12-step programs include 12 standards that Alcoholics Anonymous or any other completely self-supporting organization ought to utilize to help individuals overcome their dependency and offer recovery support to anyone who requires it.
Here is the 12-step addiction treatment program in its initial type, produced initially for Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) and available for citizens of San Francisco, California:
- Admit your previous (or present) powerlessness over alcohol;
- Think that there is something greater than yourself, the Power that can conserve you from sins;
- Decide that you are ready to turn your will over to God to look after it (as we understand Him);.
Make a personal inventory of yourself;.
- Confess to God and other human beings the exact nature of all your previous sins;.
- Be ready for God to eliminate all these defects that brought you to the place in which you are right now;.
- Request for God’s aid in this procedure;.
- Make a list of individuals that you have actually injured prior to and be ready to say sorry to them;.
- Make direct amends to their individuals whenever you can, but do not approach those that would be hurt because of that;.
- Do not stop the spiritual progress, and be willing to say sorry whenever you understand that you were wrong. Fearless moral inventory is the basis of your healing;.
- Enhance your conscious contact with God in whatever type we picture Him through prayers and meditation;.
- As soon as all set, be ready to transfer your understanding and experience to other alcoholics, in addition to continue to practice these concepts throughout your whole life.
San Francisco, CA 12-Step Program Rehabilitation.
There are also 12 traditions consisted of in San Francisco, California 12-step programs, and in contrast with the 12 principles explained above, 12 customs are for the Alcoholics Anonymous group in general, not for every individual individually.
Here are these 12 customs:.
- To end up being an AA member, the only requirement for you would be a wish to stop drinking;
- Each AA group has only one function: to bring the 12-step message to individuals struggling with their addiction;
- The common well-being of Alcoholics Anonymous as a group is more important than an private one, as the entire recovery process depends on the unity of the Alcoholics Anonymous neighborhood;
- God, in whatever type we imagine Him, is the one ultimate authority for all of us. The leaders of our AA community are the servants of His will;
- Each AA group must be independent of all others;
- AA groups need to always remain non-financial and do not provide their name to any other organizations, as otherwise, it would sidetrack us from the primary function of helping those having troubles with substance abuse;
- AA groups are self-support groups that do not take any kind of assistance from other organizations;
- AA groups were developed as nonprofessional organizations and they should remain this way. The only exception is the right to employ special workers from substance abuse treatment services;
- AA needs to not be organized in any other way, but they could create service boards in order to assist those they serve;
- Anonymous Alcoholics do not have any viewpoint on outside matters, which is why its name must not be drawn up throughout public conflicts. Its individuals have a right to maintain personal anonymity;
- Any possible public relations need to stay for the purposes of attracting those in need, not promoting the service centers and the functions they hold;
Personal recovery depends not only on the help of another party however on its anonymity also, which is why privacy is the sacred rule of AA groups that reminds us that collectively-accepted concepts are more crucial than personal desires.
12-step substance abuse treatment programs in San Francisco, California
Programs based on spiritual awakening principles, which is why some of you might find them uneasy at first.
Nevertheless, all of it depends on your own analysis and the people with whom you will go through the whole process of the addiction treatment. The spiritual foundation is not the main thing, but the acceptance that there is some higher Power, be it God or your AA group, that can assist us with all our affairs and difficulties is.
You could eliminate any references to the higher Power while working with 12-step programs for maintaining abstinence in groups with alternative analyses of actions that are based on the initial ones, or stick to the standard type if comfortable with its spiritual principles.
San Francisco 12 Step Program Treatment Benefits.
Although it is difficult to understand any accurate information on the 12-step program efficiency because of its anonymity principle, it is understood that 74% of U.S.A. treatment centers use this kind of addiction treatment for their visitors.
What is more, some insurance plan cover the costs of San Francisco, California 12-step programs, which is why you may not even need to pay extra money to get this kind of help from numerous treatment centers.
Based on the around the world acceptance and popularity, you can say for sure that 12-step programs work. It resembles with therapy types: you require to discover your own method of handling your issue, be it substance addiction or anything else, and combining the 12 actions with the desire to attend meetings is among the ways that can help you in your personal recovery!
Non 12 Step Program Treatment in San Francisco, CA
Not everyone likes 12 steps or has any impact from this technique, which is why it might be important to go over some alternatives that you can find these days.
Here is the list of some such alternatives:.
- Residential programs of rehab that take place in expert rehabilitation centers are the most effective ways of dealing with your addictions, which is why you might consider them initially. You merely will develop a substance-free environment where specialists will look after you and make certain that you preserve abstinence after that. However, it may cost you quite a penny.
- Outpatient rehab programs resemble residential ones; just they assist throughout the early morning and night so that you would still have an chance to go to work and bear the obligations that you have. However because of such a format, these programs may last for a few months.
- There are likewise faith-based residential rehab programs that you might discover helpful. What is more, most of them are free of charge and do not even need you to come from a particular faith. One such organization supplying these programs is Redemption Army.
- Government-based rehab programs in San Francisco, California are another possibility for those of you who can not afford to spend for them with your own money. Medicare and Medicaid include such a possibility in their insurance coverage strategies. Nevertheless, you require to examine whether they are available for your plan and region, in addition to whether or not your rehabilitation center accepts such payments.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the fundamental concept of a 12-Step program?
The primary principle of the San Francisco, California 12 step program is that we can assist each other out to conquer our drug abuse or any other addictions, but not without giving up to the Power greater than us alone, be it God in your own interpretation or the NA or AA group themselves.
Are 12 actions the same as AA?
The 12 steps were developed by Alcoholics Anonymous (AA), but its principles became rather popular amongst lots of other people with different substance use issues. Hence, 12 steps can be a part of your AA group methods, however you can use them to get rid of any other dependency or obsession.
The length of time does it require to do all 12 steps?
It all depends on your own problems and capabilities to conquer drug addiction or any other issue. Numerous sponsors like to deal with their customers by making them come to 90 meetings in 90 days, which is something you might consider to be the bare minimum of the amount of time that 12 steps will take from you.
What are the names of all the 12-step programs?
There is no complete list of all groups using 12-step programs in their practice, however a few of them consist of Alcoholics Anonymous, Narcotics Anonymous (including Cocaine Anonymous, Crystal Meth Anonymous, and Heroin Anonymous), Adult Kid of Alcoholics, Dual Diagnosis Confidential, and so on.